Sunday, January 25, 2009

Response to The Fable of the Goats and Other Poems

The first winnter of the Governor-General's award for poetry and drama is: The Fable of the Goats and Other Poems by E.J. Pratt.  Pratt's poetry collection won in 1937.  

I have to say, that for me, poetry if often a hit and miss type of experience, and this collection was mostly misses.  The title poem (''The Fable of the Goats'') struck me as an allegory, but of what?  I don't know.  Whether because I was tired, or just not in a good place to read poetry (the bus), I just couldn't get into this collection.  

There is, however, one notable exception, ''A Prayer-Medley,'' which provides a sarcastic criticism of Christianity, particularly its violent past.  Pratt critiques the many un-Christian aspects of the Old Testament.  It is humourous and thought-provoking.

Overall, I feel like in a sense, I didn't give The Fable of the Goats and Other Poems a fair chance, so I'm hesitant to pan the whole collection.  I could have gone back and re-read all the poems, or done research to give them better context, but I'm doing this for fun, so I'm not going to.  Hopefully, I will connect better with the next poetry collection.

No comments: