Friday, August 24, 2018

Kilborn bike lanes

Inspired by my last blog post, I decided that I will put what I hope is a simple yes/no question to all Alta Vista City Council candidates and see how they respond. I have emailed each of them and will add their responses as they are received.

Question: If elected, will you do your best as Councillor to ensure that the current Kilborn Avenue bike lanes are maintained?

YES/NO

Cloutier: YES (full response below)

Cowan: YES (full response below)

Kit: YES (full response below)

Lang-Dion: Response below

McHarg:

Redins:

Full Responses (verbatim):

Cloutier:

I support cycling infrastructure and the lanes on Kilborn considering I was the one who ensured that they were implemented as part of the resurfacing work.

I began consultation with residents of Kilborn Avenue in September 2017 before the resurfacing began. I notified residents of my intent to install cycling lanes to improve connectivity through Alta Vista. Some residents were not pleased that cycling lanes necessitated the elimination of on-street parking, so I’ve spent the last year working with them to find a solution. 

I’m happy to say that we were able to proceed with dedicated cycling lanes on Kilborn Avenue. I will continue to work to improve our cycling infrastructure. We have some great opportunities coming up, which I will make sure to keep the community informed about.

Cowan:

My support of healthy and active transportion options for our city is longstanding. During my campaign in 2014 my commitment was to add 40km of bikelanes and pathways in our ward, with a special focus on our lack of East - West connections such as Kilborn, Pleasant Park, and the widowmaker Heron road. I stand by this commitment in this election.

Also, to prioritize the hill sections of roads like Smyth to support riders during the long climb with additional temporary material too, like flex stakes. Think Bronson over the canal.

Bike lanes help provide riders safer passage and work to reduce vehicle speeds by reducing the lane widths, playing a part in serving two of our areas ongoing challenges.  For me maintaining them means more than just paint, but the overall up keep of the roadway surfaces as well. 

To support this, while President of our Alta Vista Community Association, I moved to move forward with an Adopt a Road plan for Kilborn Ave once the current phase of repairs are done. This commitment will provide our residents an opportunity help collectively audit the state of Kilborn twice year and identify any parts that need tlc, plus help keep our neighborhood clean while making new friends.

Please let me know if you enjoy the new lanes and where we should connect to next!


Kit:

As a community association president, I sit at Alta Vista Planning Group Committee (AVPG).  At AVPG community association president’s (or their alternates) meet to discuss namely planning issues within the ward.  I remember discussing this issue and making the point that the bike lanes along Kilborn made sense but that we should ensure that signage is clear - so that cars did not stop and park in the dedicated bike lanes.  Just today along Kilborn I saw two cars parked in the dedicated bike lane where no stopping is allowed. This concerns me because cyclists need to then move outside and around into the road in order to avoid the cars.  This is dangerous and puts cyclists in a potentially compromising position. 

One of the traits that I have been told would make me an effective Councillor (and incidentally has made me an effective community association president in the ward) is that I actively listen to people and then deliver results. 

In this light, I will do my best to ensure the bike lanes are maintained because I fundamentally believe and support multi modes of transportation in line with Ecology Ottawa’s principles of an active city.  Further to this, I will take it a step further and state that as Alta Vista Councillor I would be open to discussing how we can continue to make improvements along Kilborn - with the caveat that the bike lanes remain in place.

Lang-Dion:

It is a challenge to give you a yes/no answer about the cycling lanes after speaking with residents on Kilborn.
I am all for cycling and making it easier to get around the city, but I am also respectful of seniors concerns that have been voiced and the real need for parking for those playing sports at Grasshopper Hill Park, so I would suggest the issue needs to be revisited.
You ask 'will you do your best...' and for me that means hearing the needs of many and reaching a compromise that works for all yet in a practical way.

No comments: